Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
The School of Electrical Engineering is one of the six schools of Aalto University. Our portfolio covers fields from natural sciences to engineering and information sciences. In parallel with basic research, we develop ideas and technologies further into innovations and services. We are experts in systems science; we develop integrated solutions from care of the elderly to space robotics. The School is an international unit with close to 60 professors and 2 000 full-time students, including over 200 doctoral students.
The Theoretical and Applied Electromagnetics of Complex Media group of Aalto University, School of Electrical Engineering is looking for a highly motivated and talented
POSTDOC / RESEARCH FELLOW FOR DEVELOPING FUTURE INTELLIGENT COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS
Cellular wireless industry has already started pursuing candidate technologies for beyond-5G cellular wireless systems. One of such technologies is effective use of even higher radio frequency spectrum than presently the 5G plans to use, in particular, above 100 GHz. It is necessary to study possibilities of link connectivity in outdoor cellular scenarios at such high frequencies through development of innovative radio frequency solutions and improved understanding of radio wave propagation. Within a new HORIZON 2020 European project we plan to exploit the opportunities emerging for advanced connectivity based on metasurfaces where objects in the environment can become tuneable reflectors for shaping the propagation environment in D-band.
The postdoc / research fellow will work on
1) Developing physical-optics models of reflection and scattering from finite-size metasurface reflectors (anomalously reflecting or focusing) and incorporating them into propagation channel models. This work will represent a paradigm shift in channel modelling, when even the environment can be potentially changed with metasurfaces.
2) Designing, manufacturing, and characterization of metasurface concept solutions for D-band frequencies that transform pico-cell networks into adaptive, reconfigurable, sensing environments.
3) Organizing work of the project consortium partners on the topics related to the use of metasurfaces for modification and optimization of propagation channels.
The work on these topics will be supported by the European Union Horizon 2020 project. In our dynamic and open research environment, the post-doctoral fellow will have an opportunity to participate in other projects or bring his/her own research ideas.
Professor Sergei Tretyakov leads the Theoretical and Applied Electromagnetics of Complex Media group, which works on electromagnetic theory, diffraction theory, analytical modelling, theory and design of composite electromagnetic materials, including metamaterials, electromagnetic computations and measurements. Information about the group can be found at meta.aalto.fi and users.aalto.fi/~sergei/.
Requirements for the postdoc/research fellow position
• PhD degree in electrical engineering or physics and good oral and written command of English.
• Solid knowledge of electromagnetics, with the emphasis on electromagnetic phenomena in complex materials (metamaterials and metasurfaces) and the theory of diffraction.
It is advantageous if the applicant has the following knowledge and skills:
• Experience in design and experimental investigations of metasurfaces for shaping reflected fields. Knowledge of electromagnetic simulations software. Basic skills in micro- and nanofabrication. Experience in project management work.
Salary and contract terms
Postdoct / research fellow position will be filled for 2 or 3 years. Position title depends on the applicant´s experience and achievements. Starting salary for the postdoc position is approximately 3600 €/month and for the research fellow position approximately 4000€/month. The contract includes occupational health benefits, holiday bonus, and Finland has a comprehensive social security system. We prefer that the position starts in the first quarter of year 2020, at the latest.
How to apply
Please submit your application through our recruiting system by using "Apply now!" link below. Please include the following documents in English
Deadline for applications is December 31, 2019 but we will start reviewing candidates immediately upon receiving new application documents. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
For additional information, please contact Professor Sergei Tretiakov at email@example.com. In recruitment process relating questions, please contact HR Coordinator Annika Salmelin, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Aalto University, Campus and Finland
The School of Electrical Engineering is located at the Aalto University Otaniemi campus in the Helsinki metropolitan area, Finland. As a living and work environment, Finland consistently ranks high in quality-of-life. For more information about living in Finland please visit our information pages for international staff.
|Titel||Postdoc / Research Fellow for Developing Future Intelligent Communication Systems|
|Job location||Lämpömiehenkuja 2, 02150 Espoo|
|Gepubliceerd||oktober 15, 2019|
|Sluitingsdatum||december 31, 2019|
|Functietypes||Postdoc,   Onderzoeker  |
|Vakgebieden||Electromagnetisme,   Optica,   Communicatietechniek,   Kunstmatige intelligentie,   Computercommunicatie (netwerken),   Elektrotechniek,   Systeemkunde  |