You create innovative concepts and prototype software tools supporting high-tech machine and vehicle design by computational modelling.
Manufacturing companies are looking forward to take the next step towards an innovative design process. Since time to market is becoming increasingly important, companies want to find a way to make early design decisions and save time; eg. by sharing design parameters between engineering departments or find synergies in designs in product families.
Propose beyond state-of-the-art computational modelling
- Work together in a small research team combining expertise in CDS, model driven engineering, optimization techniques, mechatronic & structural design;
- Work on challenging model driven engineering problems and research for new methods, algorithms, frameworks, modelling languages & tools;
- Push state of the art software methods beyond the current limits;
- Take the lead in setting up prototype software for supporting design tools.
More concretely, for real-life industry designs of eg. a landing gear of airplane, or a complex vehicle exhaust system, …, you:
- Characterize in a formal way the design space model (with objectives, constraints, design repository/component database, … ) where you integrate parameters like producibility, total cost of ownership, performance…;
- Use model driven engineering and algorithms of computational design to automatically generate optimal and performant design concepts;
- Generate out of the box ideas to make the design space model smaller;
- Check which solutions are technically feasible.
Bart, Research Engineer at Flanders Make: " Working on a new concept I enjoy to puzzle variants of existing tools making sure they communicate correctly. When the industrial company finally adopts the solution, …the data really come to life. " Read more on https://www.flandersmake.be/en/testimonial-bart
- A Phd in Computer Science, mathematical engineering, electrical engineering (or related);
- Experience with model driven engineering;
- A conceptual mind and abstract capacity;
- A strong interest to acquire the necessary skills to work with different modelling languages (eg. SysML, Ecore, OWL, Eclipse, …);
- A strong interest to explore declarative languages;
- Knowledge of modelling software (Simscape, Amesim, Matlab, Simulink, …) is a plus;
- Curiosity for Machine designs/Mechatronics.
- Passionate about research and new technologies;
- Result oriented, responsible, taking initiative;
- Team player;
- A good communicator;
- Eager to learn.
- Flanders Make gives you the opportunity to develop yourself in the network of top industry and universities and research institutes;
- An open-minded, flexible and challenging working environment;
- A warm atmosphere and top colleagues;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Discover what we mean by “industry driven research projects” in this project movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXuIIosZbZE