The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und
Regionale Studien is an independent social science research institute based in Hamburg, Germany. It analyses political, social, and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, growth and development, peace and security, and power and ideas. The GIGA is seeking to appoint a
Applications are invited for a part-time position (50%), with an initial contract of two years, preferably starting 1 January 2020. Following successful evaluation, the contract can be extended until 31 October 2024. The position is designed to further professional qualification, as defined in § 2 WissZeitVG (Academic Fixed-Term Contract Act). The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13. Employment is contingent on the award of third-party funding.
The successful candidate will work in a third-party-funded project. The GIGA’s involvement in the cooperative project relates to the investigation of the international sources of domestic radicalisation in, for instance, Germany, with a special focus on violent Islamist actors (such as jihadist groups).
The candidate should be willing to:
- contribute to the development of a heuristic framework of the international pathways to domestic radicalisation
- conduct a comprehensive desk study on the conditions and mechanisms of the international sources of domestic radicalisation among Islamist actors
- regularly monitor the changing conditions of the international sources of domestic radicalisation across the Middle East, as well as its neighbouring regions
- summarise the current state of the international sources of domestic radicalisation in two written reports per annum
- be an active member of the GIGA, be affiliated to the GIGA Institute of Middle East Studies, and belong to the Research Programme “Peace and Security”
- contribute to the academic output of the project with single-authored and co-authored publications in leading scientific journals
- engage in the dissemination of project findings within the research as well as policy community, and among the wider public
The candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- an excellent university degree (master’s or equivalent) in Political Science, Sociology, Islamic Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, or related social sciences / area studies
- very strong teamwork skills
- familiarity with academic research on radicalisation, political Islam, and jihadism
- proficiency in English and Modern Standard Arabic
- good working knowledge of German
- additionally, knowledge of Arabic dialects and other Middle Eastern languages will be further assets
Concurrent work on a doctoral degree is possible. In this case, the research fellow would become a member of the GIGA Doctoral Programme.
Other part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality, and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those domains in which they are underrepresented.
Please fill out the application form (found at: www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it together with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-19-11), including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV including a list of relevant publications and activities, credentials/diplomas/certificates, contact details of two references), to:
Gabriele Tetzlaff, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 18 November 2019.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage (www.giga-hamburg.de) or contact Dr. Thomas Richter (Email: email@example.com, phone: +49 (0)40 42825-528).Meer informatie
|Employer||GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies|
|Job location||Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg|
|Gepubliceerd||oktober 18, 2019|
|Sluitingsdatum||november 18, 2019|
|Vakgebieden||Sociologie,   Politicologie,   Conflictprocessen,   Internationale veiligheid en wapenbeheersing,   Sociaal onderzoek,   Internationale Betrekkingen,   Cultuurwetenschappen  |