This application for a PhD in Science program was submitted to the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Education, United Arab Emirates in November 2019. The review visit will take place in April 2020 so that the following information is subject to modification to incorporate any requirements for accreditation.
The proposed PhD in Science program contributes to Khalifa University’s intention to become a center of excellence in science, engineering, and medicine within the region and beyond. This is aligned with the UAE’s strategic plans, which aim to shift the reliance on the oil-based economy to a knowledge based one by attracting investments and industries with science, engineering and health sciences being some of its major pillars for sustained development and job creation.
The following pathways of the PhD in Science program will be available:
- PhD in Science with concentration in Chemistry
- PhD in Science with concentration in Earth Sciences
- PhD in Science with concentration in Mathematics
- PhD in Science with concentration in Physics
The aim of the PhD in Science program is to produce graduates with advanced knowledge and who are able to conduct research independently at the highest level of originality and quality. In particular, graduates will be able to:
- Synthesize and critically evaluate scientific and technical knowledge to identify, formulate and solve research challenges, and effectively disseminate the results to a variety of audiences;
- Work to the highest standards in a single area and/or across multiple disciplines and develop their individual academic, professional and career skills; and
- Keep abreast of the latest advances in science that contribute to the advancement of knowledge for the benefit of society.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon successful completion of the PhD in Science program, a graduate will be able to
- Demonstrate appropriate breadth, depth and critical appreciation of knowledge that is at the frontier of their discipline(s) and areas of specialization.
- Conduct and defend original independent research that results in significant contributions to knowledge in the field and leads to scholarly articles or appropriate intellectual outputs.
- Understand and value diverse methodologies and techniques, as well as their limitations, for solving critical problems in research.
- Verify, justify and evaluate the various aspects of solutions to a complex scientific problem.
- Communicate effectively and professionally, in written and oral forms as appropriate, the major tenets of their field and their work to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrate a commitment to responsible and ethical behaviour in research and professional activities.
- Manage themselves and others effectively in a multidisciplinary collaborative environment.
*Pending CAA/UAE Ministry of Education accreditation