Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Accountancy and Finance in the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) has the following full-time vacancy:
Tenured academic staff in the field of Financial Accounting (Assistant or Associate Professor)
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education, research and services. Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the broad domain of financial accountancy. These courses are assigned in consultation with the department taking into account your expertise. They may be offered in the programmes of the Faculty Business and Economics or in other faculties and the Antwerp Management School.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the area of accountancy.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international academic journals.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally.
- You hold a PhD in applied economics, economics, accountancy, finance, or any equivalent domain.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You can submit publications in international peer-reviewed journals in the field of the vacancy.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Teaching experience at the executive level is an asset.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (Assistant Professor, Associate Professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Academic Staff.
- The planned start date is 15 September 2022.
- You will do most of your work at Stadscampus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 8 November 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and do not forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Kris Hardies (firstname.lastname@example.org), chair of the department.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.