The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) at the University of Luxembourg is seeking an enthusiastic team member for the following position:
Infrastructure and Architecture Engineer (*gn)
- Contract type: permanent
- Full-time (40 h/p.w.)
- Employee status (earliest start date: 01/09/2020)
- Location : Esch Belval
The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) is an interdisciplinary research centre at the University of Luxembourg. LCSB develops and applies systems-level approaches to gain insight into the molecular and cellular mechanisms of human diseases. Experimental and computational approaches are combined to analyse the complexity of biological systems underlying disease pathogenesis. The LCSB is pioneering the way for a predictive, preventive and personalised medicine. Neurodegenerative diseases, especially Parkinson’s disease are major targets within LCSB’s research activities.
We are looking for an infrastructure and architecture engineer to work within the LCSB, developing state-of-the-art information technology solutions to contribute to the research projects clinicians and bench scientists carrying out in the area of big data driven personalized medicine. Particularly, the engineer will work around Laboratory IT (LabIT) topics and assist with the successful setup and running of such an infrastructure.
- Design and guide the rollout of various Laboratory Information Systems throughout LCSB
- Lead technical discussions with the vendors to ensure smooth operations of the LabIT ecosystem
- Architecture design of the evolving LabIT ecosystem
- Work closely with other team members on the integration, design and implementation of APIs
- Design, execute, monitor and test backup and recovery of the various LabIT components
- Monitor performance and troubleshoot all components of the LabIT ecosystem
- Co-setup and co-maintain virtualization environments (oVirt, OpenStack)
- Co-maintain existing storage and backup infrastructures
- Write and maintain documentation for technical procedures
- Actively take part in the implementation of Responsible and Reproducible Research action plans across the institute
- Develop new solutions to efficiently operate the bioinformatics core facility IT infrastructure
- A Master’s degree in computer science, computational biology or bioinformatics, with an interest in biomedical informatics, translational medicine and more than 5 years of relevant years of working experience
- Strong experience with linux based system administration, preferably RHEL based (setup, firewalls, hardening, backups, expert troubleshooting)
- Good computer programming skills (Bash, Python), and solid basis in modern web development technologies (Django, React)
- Solid knowledge of RDBMS (PostgreSQL), both setup and usage
- Hands on experience with the integration of APIs
- Hands on experience with virtualization environments (RHEV and OpenStack) and orchestration infrastructure (Ansible, Puppet, Icinga, Foreman)
- Proven experience in a research environment
- Good knowledge on state-of-art data center infrastructures, as well as HPC
- Strong problem solving and interpersonal skills are required
- Ability to effectively and autonomously organise, prioritise and perform accountabilities in a highly dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to articulate clearly the scientific and technical needs and to work within an interdisciplinary setting, communicating with other internal and external partners
- A fully funded position and the University offers competitive compensation
- Participate in the building of state-of-the-art translational medicine platform to enable precision medicine
- An opportunity to join the fast-growing Bioinformatics Core Facility group headed by Prof. Dr. Reinhard Schneider at LCSB
- An exciting international environment
The university is an equal opportunity employer.
Your application is welcomed please submit your candidature online, advertised until filled.
All applications will be handled in the strict confidence.
For further information, please contact:
Christophe TREFOIS (email@example.com)
Team Leader, Responsible and Reproducible Research IT Infrastructure, LCSB.
Applications (in English) should contain the following documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Cover letter mentioning the reference number
- List of publications/software projects
- Description of past experience and future interests
- Name and addresses of three referees
(*gn) gender neutral