The Department of Early Childhood Education at the Faculty of Education and International Studies has a vacancy for a permanent full-time position as Professor in education / social sciences, from the 1st of August 2020.
The Department of Early Childhood Education has approximately 2000 students and 115 academic staff members and is located in Pilestredet in the centre of Oslo. The Department offers a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and Care, a Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education Studies, and various continuing education courses; the Faculty offers a PhD in Education. The Department collaborates extensively with kindergartens and other institutions relevant to our work.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- take initiative to develop new knowledge about children and families, kindergarten and children’s living conditions in multicultural cities
- develop major research projects, including the strategic venture REACH, and applications for external funding together with colleagues in the expert community
- initiate and develop research collaborations with national and international partners
- carry out your own research and development
- disseminate research results to academic communities, and to society in general
- teach and supervise at Bachelor's, Master’s and PhD level, and in continuing and further education programmes and externally financed projects
- follow-up of students in practical training
- contribute actively to the development of high-quality education
- contribute actively to the continued development of the academic community and the department’s study programmes
- contact with the professional field
- academic-administrative tasks
- qualifications as Professor in education, social sciences or equivalent, with a specialization relevant to research in one or more of the following areas:
- childhood in multicultural cities
- children's living conditions in a metropolitan context
- kindergartens and cities diversity: values, inequality and inclusion
- professional practices in city kindergartens
- experience with academic management, research networks, and project management involving external funding
- fundamental competency in teaching and supervision at the university and college level, as well as documented:
- quality development in own teaching and supervision over time
- extensive experience with supervision, preferably at the master / PhD level
- participation in the development of educational quality in professional communities
- OsloMet offers a course on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (UHPED), in English that offer fundamental competence. Applicants who are unable to document basic teaching qualifications on appointment must acquire these qualifications within two years.
- Proficiency in oral and written English is required. Applicants who do not have adequate proficiency in a Scandinavian language must acquire Norwegian skills corresponding to at least level B2 within three years of commencement.
General criteria for appointments to academic positions are covered by the Regulations for appointment and promotion to academic posts.
The following will be an advantage:
- knowledge of the kindergarten(preschool) sector, as well as relevant research publications relevant to early childhood
- Research and development work of relevance to the position, with particular attention to publications from the past six years. (Leaves of absence that are required by law are not included).
- experience and interest in interdisciplinary work
- experience in developing applications and project acquisition
- good communication skills and the ability to collaborate with students and colleagues
- personal qualities that can contribute positively to the working environment
OsloMet evaluates teaching qualifications in conjunction with interviews.
It is important for OsloMet to reflect the population of our region, and all qualified candidates are welcome to apply. We make active endeavours to further develop OsloMet as an inclusive workplace and to adapt the workplace if required. If there are periods where you have not been in work, under education or in training, you are also welcome to apply.
Applicants will be assessed by an expert committee. By the application deadline, please upload the following documents together with your application:
- CV, references and all pages of your certificates/diplomas
- A list of scientific publications
- Up to 10 scientific publications, including your PhD thesis
You must upload all the documents in order for your application to be processed. The documents must be in either English or a Scandinavian language. Translations must be authorised. Originals must be presented if you are invited for an interview. OsloMet checks documents in order to give you as a candidate a proper evaluation and ensure fair competition.
If you have documents that cannot be uploaded electronically, please contact Ingrid Andvin Tsolakis – firstname.lastname@example.org
If there are no applicants with professor-level competence, then OsloMet may elect to make a temporary appointment in a position as Professor, with requirement for qualification for a permanent position within three years.
- opportunities for academic development in a professional research environment
- interesting tasks at Norway’s third largest and most urban university
- loan and pension arrangements through the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- beneficial welfare schemes and a wide range of sports and cultural offers
- free Norwegian language classes to employees and their partners
- relocation support, cultural courses and on-boarding services
- working location in downtown Oslo with multiple cultural offers
Practical information about relocation to Oslo and living in Norway
The position is remunerated in accordance with the Norwegian State salary scale. The annual salary range for Professor, position code 1013 is NOK 704 900 – NOK 906 000. Higher salaries may be considered for particularly qualified applicants. A contribution of 2% to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the salary.
For further information about the position, feel free to contact:
- Head of Department, Helene Lund, email@example.com, mobile: +47 93485608
- Head of Programme, Inger Marie Lindboe, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +47 67237546
If you wish to apply for the position, please do so via our application portal.