About B-Q MINDED:
B-Q MINDED (www.bqminded.eu) is an EU-funded project aiming to develop breakthroughs in quantitative MR imaging such as MR relaxometry and diffusion MRI. B-Q MINDED will offer the selected early stage researchers (ESR) the opportunity to conduct top-notch research in leading academic institutions, hospitals and industry R&D divisions. During the research there will be strong emphasis on career development and on achieving impact. B-Q MINDED has the ambition to turn the developed algorithms into diagnostic solutions for improved health and care.
About Vision Lab:
Vision Lab is a research group of the physics department at the University of Antwerp. The Vision Lab has unique expertise in reconstruction, processing and analysis of imaging data. The working environment is strongly interdisciplinary, combining techniques and insights from Physics, Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science. The group has a broad range of national and international collaborations with both academic and industrial partners. More details on Vision Lab’s research are available at http://visielab.uantwerpen.be.
Job description – your research tasks
- Specifically, your research (ESR “2”) will involve the development of a super-resolution reconstruction method that enables the direct estimation of high resolution (HR) relaxation parameter (i.e., T1/T2) maps from a set of low resolution (LR) images, where each slice of each LR image may be acquired with different T1/T2 weighting settings, thus offering maximum flexibility to optimize the weighting settings for each slice individually.
- This method will improve the trade-off between signal-to-noise, resolution and scan time, thereby allowing precise estimation of HR parameter maps from shorter scans.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in physics, computer science, mathematics, engineering, or related field (if you have not obtained your diploma yet, but expect to do so in the near future, please apply already).
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- The emphases in your teaching correspond to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Background in scientific computing and/or magnetic resonance imaging MRI is appreciated.
- In view of the international context, mastering of the English language is mandatory.
- International mobility of researchers is a key concept within the MSCA ETN framework. As such you participate in international meetings, workshops and a secondment programme.
- You want to tell the world about your novel findings with attractive posters, sparkling presentations and high quality papers.
- Eligibility criteria of the Marie-Sklodowska Curie programme.
- Early Stage Researcher: At the time of recruitment, you are in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Mobility rule: At the time of recruitment, you have not resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date. Compulsory national service or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
- exciting multidisciplinary research in a collaborative network of top academic and industrial partners;
- state-of-the-art computing and imaging infrastructure to support your research;
- you will be enrolled in our PhD training programme;
- special focus on career development by offering training in transferable skills such as project management, communication skills, grant writing, exploitation of results, etc;
- the fellowship is awarded for a period of 3 years;
- you will benefit of a regular employment contract;
- the effective start date for the PhD-student is negotiable and will be determined in consultation with the selected candidate.
How to apply?
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.